Mosaics smalti production of mosaic italian smalti with venice murano glass
Mosaici Donà production of mosaic smalti
Mosaici Donà offer to you the finest authentic traditional smalti and mosaic gold available in the world today. From three generation Donà smalti is handcrafted in the Donà family villa in Murano Venice, Italy using the same ancient techniques and traditions passed down through the generations.
Donà Stefano, the owner of the firm Mosaici Donà Murano continues the family tradition (3rd generation) in smalti and golds for artistic mosaics production.
- Production of smalti and golds for mosaics, transparent glasses
- Artistic and decorative mosaics realization
- Tools for mosaic works
MOSAIC in any kind of covering and decoration of a surface made putting together little pieces (tesserae) of strong materials like natural stones, glass...
SMALTO is glass, usually opaque, used to realize mosaic works.The company that has a sole seat in Murano, the island famous for artistic glass, produces and sells directly its products all over the world its smalti and mosaic gold.
Mosaici Donà Murano can produce all kind of glass (opaque and transparent) in a vast range of shades.
- 500 colours ready to be send
- 10.000 colours in our store
- 20.000 colours producible on request
are some caracteristics that make unique this company.
Mosaici Donà all the type of mosaic smalti also Byzantine
Byzantine glass mosaic tile or smalti is the type of opaque glass tile used in classical Byzantine mosaics. Smalti is not molded into uniform shapes like modern glass mosaic tile. Smalti is made by mixing glass and various minerals according to traditional recipes and melting the mixture in a furnace. The molten glass is then poured onto a slab for cooling, and then cut by hand into rectangular pieces. The pieces are about 1/2 inch or smaller and they aren't perfect rectangles. They vary in thickness, shape, size and color. These natural variations in shape and color are exactly what make smalti the perfect mosaic material and allow the artist to create beautifully detailed images.
There are many colors included in our smalti assortment: flesh tones, earth tones, bright colors, etc. Here are some facts about smalti or Byzantine mosaic glass:
- Smalti is opaque glass mosaic tiles made according to traditional recipes in small batches.
- Natural variations in shape and color make smalti the ideal material for making life-like mosaics.
- Each tile is a hand-cut -not molded like modern glass mosaic tiles.
- Shapes are irregular rectangles with occasional triangles.
- Size of each tile is about the size of a dime or less.
- Thickness ranges from about 3/16 to 1/4 inch.
- To cover one square foot, you need between two and three pounds of smalti.
- Smalti cuts quickly and easily with the Wheeled Glass Cutters that we sell.